Frequently asked questions

Does HSoP euthanize animals?

The Humane Society of the Palouse is a low/no-kill shelter. HSoP will not euthanize adoptable animal’s due to space. We’ve stayed true to our mission for 40 years and are committed to preserving and nurturing the lives of all the rescued animals in our care. We reserve humane euthanasia only in instances when animals are suffering greatly with no potential for relief, or if an animal is so aggressive that he or she presents a danger to people or other animals and cannot be safely handled or placed. The decision to euthanize is never made lightly and done only with the best interest of the animal in mind. HSoP is committed to providing all of the animals we rescue with the individualized and compassionate care they need and deserve until they are adopted by responsible, loving people.

How many canines does HSoP help per year?

Each year HSoP provides temporary housing for anywhere from 200-300 dogs.

How many felines does HSoP help per year?

Each year HSoP provides temporary housing for anywhere from 200-300 cats. At any given time, HSoP has more cats than dogs

How many canines are returned to their owner, and how many are adopted out per year?

For stray dogs that are found within Moscow city limits, HSoP on average will be able to reunite 60% with their owners and 40% will remain in shelter care until adopted.

Whereas stray dogs that are found outside of Moscow city limits, HSoP on average will be able to reunite 40% with their owners and 60% will remain in shelter care until adopted.

How many cats are returned to their owner, and how many are adopted out per year?

For stray cats that are found within Moscow city limits, HSoP on average will be able to reunite 10% with their owners and 90% will remain in shelter care until adopted.

Whereas stray cats that are found outside of Moscow city limits, HSoP on average will be able to reunite 1% with their owners and 99% will remain in shelter care until adopted.

How is HSoP funded?

For a more detailed view of HSoP finances, visit our Financial Transparency page.

How much funding needs to be donated or raised by HSoP to make up the 35% and 8% of the annual budget?

Each year, HSoP has to raise over $80,000.00 in donations and fundraising to keep our doors open!

This is why any size donation is greatly appreciated. Without the generous support of our pet community, HSoP would not be able to do what we do.

Donate today!

Who is involved with HSoP?

  • City of Moscow, Chief of Police
    • City of Moscow owns the building and pays for utilities and make up 22% of HSoP yearly budget.
  • Latah county provides 10% of HSoPs’ yearly budget. HSoP presents to the County Commissioners every year to request funding.
  • HSoP Voluntary Board of Directors
    • 14 members who bring a variety of expertise to the organization.
  • HSoP has a full time staff of 4 that include:
    • Shelter Director
    • Animal Care Attendants
    • Public Relations Manager
  • Countless Volunteers

Is the Humane Society of the Palouse part of the Humane Society of the United States?

No. HSoP has no affiliation with HSUS or the ASPCA. Though we do look to the national animal welfare organizations to stay current with best practices, we do not receive funding nor are we affiliated with them. HSoP does apply for grants through these large national organizations, however HSoP does not receive annual funding from the HSUS or ASPCA.

What happens if my pet is brought to the shelter?

If your pet is not readily identifiable by tag or microchip, your pet will be held six business days as required by County and City of Moscow requirements. The Shelter will make every effort to contact you regarding your pet. Reclaim fees apply in each situation and must be paid prior to reclaiming your pet. Unclaimed pets become the property of the Humane Society after their six-day holding period. Once this happens, they start the process of becoming ready for adoption.

What does it cost to reclaim my pet from the shelter?

Pet owners are charged an impound fee of $20.00. To reclaim a dog that lives within Moscow city limits, if the dog is not already licensed with the city, the purchase of a lifetime license is mandatory. The license is $25.00 for altered dogs and $35.00 for intact dogs. Boarding fees of $10.00 per day are charged for each day of impound after the initial twenty-four hours of arrival at the Shelter

Do I have to have my pet spayed or neutered?

Spaying or neutering is not required for reclaimed pets, although the Humane Society encourages responsible sterilization of pets and offers assistance through S.N.A.P.

Does the Humane Society of the Palouse pick up stray animals?

The Humane Society does not pick up animals. Stray dogs found within Moscow city limits can be reported to the Animal Control Officer by calling 208-882-2677. If a stray dog is found in Latah County, citizens can call the Latah County Sheriff’s office at 208-882-2216 for assistance, but do so knowing there is no animal control for Latah County. There is no animal control for stray cats.

If I witness what I believe to be an act of animal cruelty, who do I call?

The Humane Society encourages the public to IMMEDIATELY report acts of animal cruelty or neglect to Animal Control by calling 208-882-2677 if occurring within Moscow city limits and 208-882-2216 if occurring in Latah County. Messages or calls of this nature to the Humane Society are forwarded to local law enforcement for investigation.

If my pet is missing, could it be at the animal shelter?

Hundreds of companion animals come into the shelter every year from Latah County. If your pet is missing, it is important that you contact the Animal Shelter as soon as possible so that a missing pet report can be completed and shelter staff can be notified to look for your pet. It is also important that you visit the shelter in-person and look for your pet on a regular basis. Please remember that it is the responsibility of the pet owner to search for their missing pet; however, the Humane Society will do everything possible to assist you in doing so. We also encourage posting a photo, description and information about where your pet went missing from as well as when to local lost and found groups on Facebook.

Does HSoP offer veterinary services to the pulbic?

Though we would love to offer spaying/neutering and vaccination services to our local pet community, HSoP does not have the ability or facilities to do so at this time. HSoP does offer spay and neuter assistance through our S.N.A.P., and microchipping services.

Does it cost money to surrender an owned animal?

Yes. HSoP does ask for a small donation to help provide care for owned pets that have been surrendered. Please visit our Owner Surrender page to learn more.

I'm going on vacation, can you board my pet?

No. At this time HSoP does not offer boarding services for pets. There are several boarding facilities thought out Latah County and most vet clinics will also board.

I found a wild animal hurt in my yard, what should I do?

Have you found an injured or orphaned wild bird or animal? Please call us at 208-614-CARE (2273)! Visit:

I found a feral cat, what do I do?

At this time, HSoP does not have the ablity to help serve feral cats. Please contact Animal House Ferals for more information on how to help a feral cat, or to provide a home for a feral cat. Visit their website: for more information.

Why can’t I bring my animal to the Humane Society of the Palouse if I live outside of Latah County?

HSoP does not euthanize to make space. We do not have to capacity, space or manpower to recieve animals from outside of the agreed jurisdiction we have with the City of Moscow and Latah County. We recommend contacting the shelter that services your county and they can accommodate you.

Where does HSoP list stray or impounded animals?

HSoP lists all stray or unclaimed animals on our Facebook page. To find this ablum, please follow this link:

Two animals from our shelter